Montalto's guests often divide their time between excursions to visit the beautiful towns in the area and relaxing around the pool or the fireplace, depending on the season; but there is no dearth of things to do in Tuscany for those who would like a more active vacation.
Things to do right here at Montalto Castle:
Included in every villa rental are:
- Swimming pool
- Bocce ball
- Ping pong
- Barbecue pit
- Trails through fields and woods around the castle
Our swimming pool is 6x12 meters (20x40 ft) and has a deep end for diving. We also have a bocce court for sand bowling and a covered ping-pong table. For health and wellness, we have miles of trails and dirt roads for walking and jogging, on and around our 650-acre estate.
With a minimum of participants we can organize a barbecue dinner (extra charge) where you can chat with the friends you have just made and sample local fare such as sausages, chicken, grilled eggplant, Tuscan cold cuts, and plenty of wine. We can also arrange for cooking lessons or Italian language lessons upon request; contact us a few days ahead of time to book these.
And periodically throughout the summer we offer special activities such as painting or drawing workshops, music workshops and choral singing.
Attractions close by:
Outdoor enthusiasts will find many opportunities for fun things to do:
- Right on the border of the Montalto estate is an excellent horseback riding school and equestrian center, where lessons in English mount and jumping are available, and interesting guided tours through the countryside are organized daily. They also offer a summer camp for children.
- The hilly countryside with little traffic provides challenging and rewarding roads for bicycle touring. Racing bikes and mountain bikes can be rented in Siena and in Montevarchi — contact us if you'd like us to help make arrangements in advance. Maps, itineraries and guides are available. Some guided tours offer also lunch or special stops at wineries or other points of interest.
- For those interested in hot springs, in Rapolano just 12 km from Montalto there are thermal spas, where you can swim in naturally heated pools (particularly nice in the cooler season but also truly special in the evening) and indulge in a mud bath or massage. Discounted prices for the treatments are available to our guests.
- Montalto is in the Chianti district and there are several excellent DOC and DOCG wineries offering winery tours in the immediate vicinity. Less than an hour’s drive will bring you to other top wine zones, where you can taste the Brunello of Montalcino, the Vino Nobile of Montepulciano, the white Vernaccia of San Gimignano. We can furnish you with advice and a map, make you a reservation, or engage a guide for a half or full-day tour including a castle or abbey and lunch in a fattoria.
- There are two excellent golf courses at about an hour’s drive from the Castle and two nine-hole courses just half an hour away.
- A polo club, less than ten minutes from Montalto, has regular matches.
- Nearby parks and nature reserves: Tuscany is known for its beautiful landscapes and outdoor places. The Val d’Ambra is largely unspoiled and the Val d’Orcia has been designated a UNESCO World Heritage site. There is also a natural reserve near Cavriglia.
- Sailing is possible on Lake Trasimeno.
- Children might like an occasional day on the Acquapark waterslides, near Monte San Savino; and the Saltalbero Adventure Park in Rapolano offers activities such as agility courses, a climbing wall, mini-golf and other fun things to do.
- Sport fishing is offered near Bucine.
- Hunting for pheasant, deer and wild boar is possible in season but must be arranged in advance.
- In winter there is an ice rink in Siena, open day and evening.
- And what about a balloon ride at dawn, followed by a champagne breakfast in the field where you land? (advance reservations and a minimum number of participants are required).
Especially for families:
Everybody has different needs, and it isn't always easy to make them all work together. A villa rental at Montalto Castle in Tuscany is the answer. Here you fully experience the art and culture of the area while enjoying the advantages and independence of a private home, and still benefiting from the companionship of other kids and the availability of help when needed.
Reasons to book a family vacation villa rental at Montalto castle in Tuscany:
- A single home base means no repeated packing/unpacking
- Keep an eye on your kids by having them in the same house instead of separate hotel rooms; don't worry about them making noise that might disturb other people
- Let your kids run freely around the property without worrying about them getting lost in city streets
- Eating at home and having a place for naps provides less disruption to your regular routine and is easier on your budget than going to a restaurant with the entire family 3 times a day
- Ensure healthy meals with fresh vegetables from the organic vegetable garden
- Enjoy wireless internet in the comfort of your own living room for those moments when you need to stay in touch with your life back home
- Visit the nearby hill towns of Tuscany rich in art and history for a rewarding cultural experience
- Experience total independence in your own villa, but benefit from the assistance of the owners and a part-time concierge for tourist advice, tickets, and help in case of an emergency
- Meet other families and interesting people instead of being totally alone in an isolated villa
- Last but not least, you'll have a washing machine!
- Live in an authentic medieval castle like a knight or princess
- Have fun splashing around in the pool and meet and play with other kids
- Flexible pace: alternate sight-seeing with lounging time around the pool, or stay home at the castle with a baby sitter while your parents enjoy museums and dinner for 2.
- Watch farm activities such as the fields being plowed, sown and harvested (seasonal).
- Walk to the creek, go and see the horses at the stables, or help collect eggs from the chickens in the morning.
- And there are also many things to do indoors: play the piano, do a puzzle, play ping-pong or foosball, read books in different languages.
Book a vacation villa rental at Montalto castle in Toscana for your family holiday and you’ll wake up to the smell of fresh air and a clean and very peaceful environment. After you've relaxed and recharged, away from the normal noise of the city, you will be able to easily embark on sightseeing of nearby places and attractions in Tuscany to enjoy all that the local culture has to offer. Montalto, with its cluster of separate villas and apartments, is well suited to both the only child as well as to extended families. Children love Montalto!
For details about each of Montalto's villas for rent read about our accommodations. You are sure to find a villa to suit your needs! Contact us if you are coming with an extended family and would like advice to rent more than one villa. We are also happy to help you organize in advance the things to do that inspire you the most.